Being convicted of a sex crime can have disastrous life consequences. Don’t sign a plea agreement without first consulting with a Terre Haute sex offense attorney at Rowdy G. Williams Law Firm.
One of the most serious types of crimes to be convicted of is a sex crime. Many sex offense convictions come with a lengthy prison term attached, and most are registerable offenses. As though registering for a sex crime isn’t bad enough, you may be required to submit to mandatory probation—in some cases, for life.
In addition, most employers will not accept sex offenders or felons, and you will forever be barred from many employment opportunities, including teaching and working with children. If you’ve been charged with a sex offense, contact a Terre Haute sex crime lawyer at our office. We’re ready to defend you in court.
What Does It Mean to Be a Sex Offender in Indiana?
In Indiana and throughout the country, the law takes a firm stance against sex offenses. Even if you’re innocent of the charge against you, it only takes one person to say that you did something sexually inappropriate, and the pitchforks suddenly start showing up at your door.
If you are convicted or you sign a plea agreement, your life could be ruined. The laws have been getting stricter on sex offenders as time passes, forcing offenders to register where they live, where they work, and where they go to school.
They aren’t allowed to live or work near schools, and they must report their sex offenses to their employers. Of course, that’s if they can even find a job—no one wants to hire sex offenders.
It’s imperative to try to avoid a conviction because the consequences are too severe. A sex crime lawyer in Terre Haute can help.
Examples of Sex Crimes in Terre Haute, Indiana
The attorneys at our office defend against all types of sex crime charges, and we will help you understand the charges you’re facing and the possible consequences—legal or otherwise. Here is a closer look at some of the sex crimes you can be charged with in Terre Haute:
- Child Molestation – This is defined as any sexual contact or intercourse with a child younger than fourteen; the crime is a Level 3 felony (without aggravating factors), with a punishment of three to sixteen years in prison.
- Sexual Misconduct with a Minor – When a person who is at least eighteen years of age has sexual contact with a person who is at least fourteen years old but younger than sixteen, he or she can be charged with a Level 5 felony (without aggravating factors), with a punishment of one to six years in prison
- Child Exploitation – This is defined as creating or sharing any kind of material (printed or digital) that depicts children under the age of eighteen committing sexual acts; the crime is a Level 5 felony (without aggravating factors), with a punishment of one to six years in prison.
- Rape – Sexual penetration or other sexual conduct by force or with someone who can’t give consent (because he or she is unaware of the sexual conduct or because of mental incapacity) is considered rape; the crime is a Level 3 felony (a Level 1 felony with aggravating factors), with a punishment of three to sixteen years in prison.
- Child Pornography – This charge includes anyone who possesses images, videos, or other media depicting children younger than eighteen years old in a sexual manner; the crime is a Level 6 felony (without the presence of aggravating factors), with a punishment of 180 days to two and a half years in prison
Other types of sex crime charges common in Terre Haute are as follows: vicarious sexual gratification (sexual conduct in the presence of a minor), child solicitation, child seduction, sexual battery, Internet sex offense, and inappropriate communication with a child.
Increased Penalties for Sex Offenses in Indiana
Sex offense penalties can vary widely. They’re not only based on the crime, but also the circumstances of the case. Aggravating factors could increase the level of felony and, as a result, the potential legal penalties.
For example, rape can jump from a Level 3 felony to a Level 1 if date rape drugs were used, a deadly weapon was used, or serious bodily injury occurred during the commission of the offense.
A sex crime attorney in Terre Haute can help you minimize or even avoid your potential punishments by building you a solid defense.
Consult a Terre Haute Sex Crime Attorney
You have a lot to lose if you’re convicted of a sex offense in Terre Haute. Fortunately, you can fight your charge with the help of a qualified defense lawyer at our firm. Together, we can fight to get the charge reduced to a lesser offense or even have it dismissed altogether.
The sooner you call, the better chance you have. Rowdy G. Williams Law Firm is experienced in defending those accused of sex crimes. To discuss your case with an experienced Terre Haute sex crime lawyer, give us a call at 1-812-232-7400 or fill out the online contact form at the bottom of this page.